Berne's group reunion 2018
What: reunion of Berne people on the occasion of Bruce Berne's Friedman Lecture at Brooklyn College
When: Thursday, April 19th, 2018.
Where: Brooklyn College of CUNY. See directions. Contact email@example.com to reserve a parking permit if coming in by car. However, the subway, if feasible, is probably your best bet, see below.
Video of Bruce's lecture:
Friedman's Lecture Schedule: Thursday, April, 19th
- 10:00 AM Welcome reception with light refreshments, snacks, coffee, etc (Penthouse of the Brooklyn College Student Center, 2705 Campus Rd)
- 10:30 AM-- 12:30 PM Graduate student talks (Penthouse of the Brooklyn College Student Center, 2705 Campus Rd)
- 01:00 PM-- 2:00 PM Friedman Lecture: Bruce Berne (Columbia University) "Molecular Dynamics: a Personal Retrospective" (Tangers' Auditorium, First Floor, Library Building)
- 02:30 PM--- 04:30 PM Reception, ceremonies, late lunch buffet (Penthouse of the Brooklyn College Student Center, 2705 Campus Rd)
All locations within easy walking distance. Consult the campus map here. Some helpful notes:
- For the morning session and the reception after the lecture, make sure to enter the Student Center (Building "1" on the map) from the main entrance at 2705 Campus Road, which is near the intersection of Amersfort Pl and Campus Road. It is the entrance with an access ramp. The guard at the entrance will check your ID against the list of attendees. The Penthouse is on the top floor. I believe the button in the elevator is labeled "PH".
- The Friedman lecture will take place in the Tanger auditorium, which is inside the Library building (building "13" on the map). To get to the Library, enter the main campus using the entrance on Campus road marked on the map by a yellow star (they will probably ask you again for your ID). Walk straight under the tree canopy until you are under the bell tower on your left. Enter the Library directly underneath the bell tower. (Once again show your ID.)
- There are other entrances to the campus, all marked by yellow stars--however, avoid the entrance on Avenue H which is limited to BC students and staff. From there use the map to navigate to the Library.
- Once inside the Library stay on the ground floor. Walk past the circulation desk on your left. Continue straight to the main hall past the student desks, etc. The entrance to the Tanger auditorium is straight ahead at the end of the hall. Ask one of the receptionists if you get lost. Do not take the elevators or the staircase.
- If coming by subway, the 2 and 5 trains are probably best. Last stop to Flatbush Avenue. From there follow the directions to the campus.
- If you are coming by car e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP to secure a parking permit. Include make, model, color, license plate number and state.
- Call my cell phone (E.G.): 646-552-7136 if you get stuck at any point. However be mindful that cell phone reception is notoriously spotty within the campus.
Confirmed. Thursday, April 19th, 2018, 7 pm--11 pm.
Washington Square Hotel
The Deco Room
103 Waverly Place
New York, NY 10011
212 254 1200
we have the private room with a cash bar reserved from 7 pm to 11 pm. Dinner expected to start at 8-8:30 pm. Special dietary needs will be accommodated on site.
Bruce Berne's mini-symposium: Friday, April 20th
At Columbia University, 116th and Broadway, you know where it is. Miller Room 320 Havemeyer Hall from 10am to ~5pm with a break for lunch. Short talks and conversations about our current research and activities. Prepare a few slides or just bring chalk for a 10-15 mins informal presentation if you want to talk about your work. Here is a rough tentative schedule for the mini-symposium:
- 10 AM: meet and greet, sip coffee, finish that bagel.
- 10:30 AM -- 12:30 PM: brief informal talks, Bruce picks who goes next. Questions and interruptions are allowed and encouraged.
- 12:30 PM -- 2:00 PM: lunch break, go see if your favorite sandwich shop is still there on Amsterdam Avenue. Catch up with your group mates.
- 2:00 PM -- 4:00 PM: more informal talks
- 4:00 PM -- ? : small group discussions, chatting, etc. goodbyes
Emilio Gallicchio <email@example.com>, Brooklyn College of CUNY
Tom Kurtzman <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Lehman College of CUNY